Welcome to WAAPH
Health is a state of complete physical, mental, and social well-being and not merely the absence of disease or infirmity. (WHO)
WAAPH recognizes the fact that to achieve an optimum public health system in the West African region, there is need to meet the shortfall of health professionals across the countries in the region, as well as to strengthen the knowledge base around implementation science and research. It also sees an opportunity to work in galvanizing sustained and holistic response to the public health concerns in the region which in turn requires health care to be addressed not only from the scientific perspective of what works, but also from the social perspective of who needs it the most. It also recognizes that minimal evidence is used in efficiently programming and policymaking, and works with partners to generate evidence to strengthen decision-making based on demand and as incidental activities. It therefore presupposes that capacity development for practitioners and setting up systems for strong public health monitoring, learning and evaluation would be a strong area of consulting and training interest.
Leave No One Behind To Ensure Universal Health Coverage For Healthy Lives And Well-Being For All At All Ages In Africa
Our Vision, Mission and Values
Our vision is to be the leading research, training and public health organisation in West Africa.
To strengthen West Africa’s public health institutional and systems capability and provide knowledge to achieve better health outcomes for all.
- Uphold the trust of our multiple stakeholders and supporters
- Honest, open and ethical in all we do, acting always with integrity
- Link efforts to improving public health outcomes, knowledge to action
- Responsive to existing and emerging public health priorities
- Knowledge based, evidence driven approach in all we do
- Drawing on diverse and multi-disciplinary expertise, open to innovative approaches
- Aim for highest standards in all aspects of our work
- Encourage, recognise and celebrate our achievements
- Independent view & voice, based on research integrity & excellence
- Support academic and research freedom, contributing to public health